Miracles and Revelation
- "If our entire salvation is dependent on our accepting Jesus, why does God act in such a hidden fashion today?" What is your answer in your own words?
- Discuss the quote below: do you agree with Pascal?
- Why doesn't God give us more evidence?
- Craig says that there is sufficient evidence; would you agree?
- He also says that the primary way we know God exists is experiential. Do you agree? ("Seek and you will find.")
"God so regulates the knowledge of Himself that He has given indications of himself, which are visible to those who seek Him and not to those who do not seek Him. There is enough light for those to see what only desire to see, and enough obscurity for those who have a contrary disposition." -Blaise Pascal
"You might have wondered why the Enemy (God) does not make more use of His power to be sensibly present to human souls in any degree He chooses and at any moment. But you now see that the Irresistible and the Indisputable are the two weapons which the very nature of His scheme forbids Him to use. Merely to over-ride human will (as His felt presence in any but the faintest and most mitigated degree would certainly do) would be for Him useless. He cannot ravish. He can only woo." -C.S. Lewis (Screwtape Letters)
Discussion Questions Regarding the C.S. Lewis Quote Above
- What does it mean to 'ravish'?
- What does it mean to 'woo'?
- Do you agree with C.S. Lewis that Gad cannot ravish but only woo? Explain.
- How have you personally experienced God woo-ing you?
- Many non-believers today complain that God doesn't exist because if He did, they'd expect Him to make himself forcibly known to them. How would you respond to that?
- In light of these truths, how would you expect God to communicate with us?